Saturday, May 23, 2009

Day 6 - Belfast




Day 6 saw me spending the day in Belfast in Northern Ireland. I been a little apprehensive about being in this previously conflicted city but it turned out to be a wonderful city and I would highly recommend it.

It had a wonderful mix of old and new - I toured the (mostly political) murals, saw where Titanic was built (they are VERY proud of that) and wandered the old Shankill Goal (Jail). They have the "Belfast Wheel" like the London Eye - at right next to Central Hall and the largest Celtic cross in Ireland plus numerous new public art works.

Most of the new buildings are all glass since they didn't use glass in any of the buildings prior to the Peace 10 years ago for fear of bombings shattering it. The locals I met all seemed to have a wonderful sense of humor about the past and were all very glad for the peace and the prosperity that came with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment