Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Finally off the highlands...my lifelong dream

Still working on catching up with my photos - will continue to add to the albums a limited number from each area (I've take around 1500 picts so far, so I don't think you want to see them ALL!).

Toured Glasgow yesterday and a little the day before (it was about 4:30pm when I arrived on Monday). It has a lot of beautiful architecture but not as much interesting history as Dublin and Belfast. Also, everything is very brown and gray - stone - cement. Could easily imagine what it was like to live here in Victorian times as so little has changed. It hardly seems like I am in Scotland as I could be in any busy, big European city.

But today I leave on a coach (Bus) tour up through the Highlands, stopping at several castles and other sites and then staying the night in Fort William. Tomorrow we continue on to Eilean Donan - a small ruin of a castle on a jetty out into a loch - but it is one I saw a picture of ages ago and fell in love with it - so it is where I have always wanted to go. Afterwards we come back south for a few more stops and end in Edinburgh where I will take the Caledonian Sleeper train (where I have a berth reserved all to myself) back to London overnight. To meet Ian and Sean in Heathrow that afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment