Thursday, June 25, 2015

Wow! I can understand everything I read and hear again!

So nice to be back in a country that speaks English!  We actually had a very lazy day today.  I woke at 6:30 but had a migraine (my first on this trip) and I was so sour from walking up and down hills in Lisbon yesterday that I just didn't feel up to going to Sintra as planned.  So I went back to sleep and we all got up around 10:30, took our time getting our things together and then headed to the airport for our 3pm flight.  We flew into Stansted instead of Heathrow and it took us 2 hours to get from there to where we are staying.  We are staying at our last airbnb place and its rooms above a Bar/Brazilian Restaurant.  There are half a dozen rooms plus 2 bathrooms, a living room and a kitchen.  We ate dinner downstairs and I the national dish of Brazil (black beans & pork in a stew with rice, flour, greens and orange slices) - it was really good.

From the beginning I've said, I wish we had another day in London because there is so much to see and we only have the next two days, then we leave for Liverpool via Stonehenge.  Less then a week left - in some ways it flew by but in others ways, I'm really looking forward to going home.

As my knees have been bothering me, I've really become aware of how little access there is for people with disabilities.  In Museums, on subways, even at the airports, there are stairs everywhere.  Some times there are escalators or elevators or maybe a ramp but many, many times there aren't.  And then we are staying in these old buildings and so many of them have the worst stairs - very steep and often very narrow.  My feet aren't that large but only about half my foot fits on the step!  And the tripping hazards are everywhere.  They just don't seem to have the heavy emphasis on safety that we do.

Well, like I said, busy couple of days ahead, best get to sleep now.

No comments:

Post a Comment